Wednesday, October 1, 2008

13 months and going strong


Dear Lola,


Yesterday you turned 13 months old. This is something that has me floored. To think that 13 months ago I had major abdominal surgery and you were born.


It's been an incredible few weeks that have sorta overpowered life. You have taught me that life should never be taken for granted and to take pleasure in the simplest things in life. You've taught me that milestones and reaching other people expectations of you makes for nothing. And you've taught me that strength really does come from within.


The past few days have been such a joy. Watching you rediscover the world and do it on your terms. You are never going to be one who is pushed into doing something you aren't quite ready for and definitely won't be the one to back down when shit hits the fan. I love watching you discover toys and "read" your books. I've never met a baby who is so fanatical about turning the pages on books and gabbering away. Or a baby who loves to sing along to The Beatles as if it was their favorite song.


One might think at 13 months old you would be walking and running and playing. Making friends with the neighbor kids and saving 10% of all your earnings for college. I'm ok with the fact you aren't doing all those things yet. I'm ok with having my baby be a baby for longer. In fact, I had to go through your clothes last night and start to pick out the ones that don't fit and replace with ones that do. It's been umm...FOREVER since I had to do that. It was really hard for me though to put away those tiny little shirts knowing you were getting big on me.


When I pick you up, it's no longer a tiny frail baby I'm picking up...it's a BABY. And so often when I do pick you up, and it hits me how big you are getting, I can't help but put you in what might appear to be a WWF wrestling move kinda hug. I just can't seem to get enough hugs or kisses from you.


And you seem to enjoy them as well...I have to say a wet slobbery open mouth on my face is the sweetest thing I've ever seen.


You changed my life. You put it all into perspective and made me realize that sometimes, I don't have to be going 100 miles an hour. That sometimes it's ok to put the blanket out on the grass and read a book or take a walk around the block in the coolest Radio Flyer wagon to hit the streets.


Love, Your Momma

2 comments:

Carrie said...

That is such a great post to Lola. She is absolutely adorable, and I am glad that she is doing better.

BIGMANlittleWORLD said...

Dear Lola,

We are a bit concerned about your mother. She is writing you letters as if you actually can read them and continues to remind you that she had to have major surgery so you could be born, when we all know you were banking on doing it like the scene from Alien, a movie your uncle Dutchboy is sure you will love.

You scared us in the womb, you continue to scare outside the womb, but even the likes of me can't deny seeing you smile in pictures warms the darkest places of our hearts.

You truly are one of a kind, and the family looks forward to watching you grow up into a fantastic person reflective of the fantastic parents you have, well hopefully you don't write letters to your 13 month old daughter.

Here's to another year m'dear

Uncle Dutchboy