Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Firsts

This week started out like any other week...but has already shown us how many "firsts" a family can have.

On Sunday we drove to Lewiston to see Jason's parents. Lola wasn't feeling well all day and we changed her outfit enough time to qualify a need to do laundry. Steven sent Kindred on his first GPS scavenger hunt where after finding the location, came across a bag of "bootie". I didn't get to see the game in progress, but it sounds very fun!

Then while we were all hanging out...Steve and Kindred disappear for a few. I look out the window to see not only Steve and Kindred crossing the street back to the house, but they now have a goat. On a leash. Apparently he needed a walk. So...walking a goat. A first.


Monday, we got to go to Kindred's first baseball game. This was a first for all of us. Kindred has never played on a baseball team before, Jason and I have never had a kid on a baseball team before, and Lola had never attended a baseball game before. We got Kindred a glove awhile back and he and Jason have been playing some catch in preparation for the big game. Well...the challenge with having parents who are also new to a sport, they don't know what all needs to go into preparing for the first game. So when Grandma Denise posed the question whether or not Kindred had been practicing batting, it was apparent we had some work to do.
Kindred did GREAT! He got to play middle outfield and had quite a few opportunties to get the ball and throw it back to the infield. Then when it was his turn to bat, we could see where we didn't help prepare him. Instead of positioning himself in the box and holding the bat up over his shoulder with hands together, he stood ON the base with hands wide apart. Luckily the umpire was very helpful and got him where he needed to stand and how to hold the bat. Second time up to bat, Kindred got a ball and a strike and then NAILED the ball! Off he ran (after some yelling from coaches and parents alike to RUN!!!!) to first base. The moms sitting near us gave us some praise, "and you say you're sons never played baseball!" and we got all excited. Next thing we know, Kindred is STEALING SECOND BASE!!! I couldn't help but exclaim, "how did he know to do that??!!" Had i ben paying attention I would have noticed the base coach who obviously gave him the assistance needed to accomplish the task. then...again like a pro...HE STEALS THIRD! This was without the assistance of a base coach! I could barely contain my excitement. (Later Kindred said...I could hear you yelling for me all the way out on the field!! We sat waiting to see what happened...one batter struck out...the next batter was up and within moments Kindred was running in to finish off his first run of the bases.
Later I went over and offered him a water bottle. That must have not been cool cause he gave me the..."No thanks. I'm fine."



Here's Kindred getting ready to go to bat


Kindred up to bat

Kindred on First Base

Kindred running into Home

Lola NOT enjoying her first baseball game

Lola chilling with Dad

Lola got to have her first use with her new sippy cup. She loves taking drinks out of glasses so we thought a sippy cup would be the next move. She was getting pretty frustrated cause she couldnt latch onto it and it wasn't like a cup...but she still got a big girl drink. And I think she was distracted by the camera. She certainly recognizes it now!


She also had her first cookie!! She's such a big girl feeding herself! And not to mention, sitting in her high chair entertaining herself! That in itself is an accomplishment!


Wednesday I got my first "lola is sick you need to come get her" phone call from the daycare. Her fever had spiked and she was acting funny. What a scary phone call to get! She's still struggling to get better...but hopefully soon! As soon as I got her home, I could tell she was tired. Before I even left the room she was out. Poor little peanut!


3 comments:

Super B said...

What an eventful week! Your little Lola isn't so little anymore! She is so precious and growing up fast!

Lant Family said...

We are glad that Kindred had a good first game . We will have to come up and watch one someday . I like the picture of Lola crying. She is growing up quickly, cookies and cups!!

JJ said...

How fun was your week! Way to go Kindred! We'll for sure be up there to watch a game.