Wednesday, January 14, 2009

when every second counts

Today I caught up on a blog I read about a baby born without a Left Ventricle in her heart...she's now 10 months old and a total angel...fighting her way through every challenge put in front of her.

The mother was gushing about how her daughter, for the first time EVER, used a bottle. A bottle. For ten months, they have had her hooked up to a feeding machine, sending her much needed nutrients through an IV. For ten months, they have waited for her to be strong enough to be able to suck the liquid from a bottle. For ten months, they have waited for what most mothers see the in the first hour their child enters the world.

I was caught up in this story, as I myself, have been gushing all day over Lola's most recent accomplishment. Last night, my angel, at 16 1/2 months, STOOD FOR AN ENTIRE MINUTE BY HERSELF. (yes...I actually was standing there holding my breath and counting each second to myself)

And when she finally plopped to the ground...she looked up to see Momma and Dada with smiles bigger than the moon...and she smiled back.

My little girl, who four months ago almost left this world to rest with angels, who four months ago couldn't even crawl, who four months ago was so skinny you could count her ribs...STOOD ON HER OWN.

small steps...small accomplishments...HUGE VICTORY!!!

4 comments:

Christin said...

Way to go Lola. You're a star.

Christin

The Gardner Family said...

That is so great! I love that little girl!

JJ said...

That's awesome, tell her we love and miss her, and you too :)

Super B said...

That is the awesome! Great job Lola! What a miracle.