Memorial Day. This year it caught my attention much stronger than normal. Now don't get me wrong...I truly believe I am a red white and blue gal. Life is all about patriotism and loving your country. Yet...this year...I really took notice. (you can also take notice it is wednesday and I am finally able to put words to my thoughts)
Our country is knee deep in a war that seems to have no end. Perhaps that is what got me thinking. Perhaps it is the impending 2 year mark of my fathers passing. Perhaps if you really look deep...no...deeper...it's...dunt dunt dunnnnntttt....both.
My father was a patriot. He loved America. He loved what it stood for and loved knowing he fought for our country. He loved being an American. And I loved him for this.
He was also a cynic. Which I also loved. He believed the government used saps like him to invade and play Risk with countries and do as they will. He believed "Big Brother" was always out there watching.
Incredibly...I am realizing how much more in common I have with my father than I thought. We are both walking contradictions. Recently I found that my ability to be nazi-esque about certain things (a real hard ass if you will) and my ability to be beyond laissez-fair about things....has the ability to shatter dreams and lifestyles. It is incredible I have survived as long as I have.
Back to what I was saying...Memorial Day. I wanted to make sure I spent this day in rememberance of our fallen soldiers. Of our soldiers now serving. Of the men and women willing to give a piece of their soul to this country and the many other countries they serve.
Sitting in a ceremony designed to send thoughts and love to just those people, put me in a place of peace. My father would have loved being at this ceremony. There were anthems sung and veterans of young and old...and there was a hot chick who once served in Afghanistan and now is Miss Utah. He would have loved being there. I sat there full of emotions, normally bottled up, now pouring from my eyes. And I knew...
I am proud to be an American.
No comments:
Post a Comment