Tuesday, September 28, 2010

learning to be a mom


I'm an edgy Mom. I'll admit it. In fact, I've been called Panicky and Hyperactive. :D While I'm not totally fine with that...I have sort of come to terms with it.

So when things like this morning happen, where my 3 year old tipped a chair over and landed hard on her head, leaving a very large goose egg and some vomiting, I didn't hesitate to make a call and wake up a doctor to find out what to do. Cause sometimes being Panicky gets the job done.

I became a StepMom before I had my own child. That role has its very definitive ups and downs. And I can say it helped prepare me for having my own children. But there is sooooo much it didn't prepare me for. I find, as my stepkids grow older and older, I'm SERIOUSLY lacking in my parenting skills. I have so much to learn.

When my daughter came, I honestly had the disillusion that I had this parenting down. "I've done this before" was often in my thoughts. And then, I found she not only was a new little person with her own personality but she would need a little special care.

Now I'm realizing more and more...each of my kids are different. They carry personalities and traits and character that prevents me from ever using the same tactic on all of them. They each need individual attention and individual approaches. They each have "special needs".

I'm loving this path that I am on. It's never easy but always worth it. And I love watching the kids grow into the Man and Women they will become.

I only hope I can help that growth the way God intended.

What do YOU do to learn more about parenting and help meet each of your kids needs?


1 comment:

Super B said...

I thought the 6 years I spent as a preschool teacher would make me a perfect parent to little ones. I have come to find that I have some tricks that come in handy, but I have realized that I need much more patience...
being with children for a few hours is much different than being with them full time! Having 2 kids has made it more difficult...mostly because I am more tired and therefore quicker to lose my cool.
I think that you expressed what we as parents all desire!
love and hugs my dear!